Last Weeks in Dressmaking


I know it's been 2 years and I'm very guilty of leaving this series of blogs behind. I remember being really stressed that time that ever since that day I did not write anything until today. I have a good news but I'll put it on the last part.

This is what I wrote:

Day 30

We received the allowance this day. I also practiced cutting fabric using a small pattern just like back then.

September 14, 2022

Day 31

I fixed my measurements in my pattern so I could get the right measurements this time. Then I sew the pattern I cut yesterday so I can memorize the process of sewing blouse.

September 13, 2022

Day 32

We arrived late this day because we got the requirements for our proposal. I also timed how long I sewed the buttonhole and I sew one for 12 minutes

September 14, 2022

Day 33

I cut my pattern onto the old fabric. I set a timer and begin cutting the fabric for the blouse that has my measurements. It took me 51 minutes to finish cutting. I began sewing and then it took me 4 hours to finish without tax. In the national examination, we only have 4 hours to finish pattern making, cutting, and sewing. I haven't done any buttons yet but it already took me almost 5 hours so what I'll do tomorrow is to do it all over again but faster so I can have more time to finish my blouse in the assesssment.

September 15, 2022

Day 34

No entry

September 16, 2022

Day 35

No entry

September 19, 2022

Day of the Assessment

It's so funny when I remember going to our meetup place, all of us from batch 1 are wearing backpacks that our coordinator told us we looked like we were on our field trip. However, he can't really blame us because we are going to a really far place. We had a long ride. When we arrived there I thought I was in a rural area. We arrived earlier than our assessor so we decided to eat before our assessment started. The food is really cheap there.

The assessment first starts off with patterning and cutting the fabric. I was so damn slow on that part. I can't even find a good machine to start off I kept fixing the tension and stuff so I decided to get on the left side of the room, which is separate from all of my classmates because most of them is in the right side. I remember I stumbled doing so because the floor is so dusty. To add, I was very nervous too. 

I sew my blouse very slowly too just like how I do in our training center. My classmate who's already an experienced sewer kept checking on me to see if I was doing fine because she was already finished. I'm the last one to finish my blouse because I was slow at sewing the button and buttonhole. I remember being praised by our assessor for having conviction in my answers during the oral assessment despite being the last one to finish. Then after tour works were checked, feedbacks were made, and was declared that we all passed. 

Finally, all the time spent was not in vain. However, I can't celebrate that much because right after the assessment. I had my online meeting and I did on our way home.

September 22, 2022

Fast forward to the present, today is January of 2024, I currently work as a part-time sewer along with being a college student. I still can't believe that I'll become a sewer instead of any art or technology-related job. I started working on December 29, 2022, so I now have 1 year of experience as a professional production worker. It's not an easy job, the pay is below average in addition to me being slow. However, I think it helped me cover my college expenses, especially transportation and food. I study at our community college so it was almost free. Despite my wage, I think I'm fine with it too because I can decide when I'll go to work or not which is a privilege that not many other working students have. So, I have my own share of advantages in working there.

Working made me realize a lot of things and how hard life can be. People may not treat you well but you have to swallow your pride to maintain what you currently have. I cried a lot during those first times but I believe I'm stronger now. I will never regret the path I take despite what other people may think of me. I also realized that I actually like sewing to the point that I paused my other hobbies, in order to learn and experience more. I will hold this skill very dearly to my heart until I grow up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog